Friday, July 15, 2011

Yakiudon

I discovered New Hatchin a few days ago, an authentic japanese grocery store which is just 5 blocks away from my apartment. It's indeed a gem - I now have a source of udon and really smooth fried tofu! I decided to cook yakiudon for a start:

YAKIUDON

Yakiudon

Ingredients
- 200g nama (raw) udon
- 3/4 cup assorted meat
(I prefer the combination of sliced kikiam, and fish cakes! they're cute!!!)
- 1 cup chopped leafy vegetable/s of your choice
(I prefer chinese pechay)
- 100-200g fried tofu, sliced in bite sizes
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp kikkoman/low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- dash of crushed pepper

Procedure
1. Boil udon noodles according to package directions. Drain water, then set aside.
2. Prepare the sauce: Mix oyster sauce, soy sauce, water and sugar. Set aside.
3. Sautee chopped garlic in vegetable oil until browned, preferably in a wok
4. Add the meat, onion, and crushed pepper. Stir-fry till meat is cooked
5. Add the sauce (in step 3) and vegetables, continue stir frying until veggies shrink a bit
6. Add the noodles and tofu, continue stir-frying until sauce is almost dry, and equally coated on the noodles and tofu. TIP: Stir-fry gently to avoid the chopping of udon and tofu, they're really soft!

Makes 2 servings. It was perfect! Lou and I loved it that we concluded, from now on, thursday night is UDON NIGHT. So, expect more udon dishes after this!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment